You Need to Know This About Bowling
Most Commonwealth Club members participate in the Men's Bowling League. Whether you are a league member or just a casual bowler, this is for you:
- The last two teams to leave the alleys have the responsibility to make sure everything is turned off. Paramount are the pin-setters; leaving them on all night can inflict serious damage. Hand blowers, fans, lights, smoke-eater, and the air conditioner in the wall adjacent to Lane 1 also get turned off. To let any of these run overnight is also massively wasteful.
- League bowling starts at 8:15 p.m. Get to the club on time. It is an inconvenience to both teams’ members to have to wait while some late bowler “catches up” one, two or three frames.
- Be attentive and ready for your turn to bowl. It becomes exasperating when a bowler has to be hunted down constantly to take his turn. It also makes for a long night.
- Do not step up on an approach or retrieve your ball from the return when another bowler is ready to roll on an immediately adjacent lane.
- Do not linger on the approach after bowling.
- In the spirit of sportsmanship, do not make comments to a bowler when he is on the approach and ready to deliver his ball.
- Do not place any drink container on the scorer’s table. It is likely to get knocked over. Similarly, be mindful of not spilling, since a wet shoe could prove disastrous when it sticks on the approach.
- Smoking is allowed only in our bars. Make sure the exhaust fan is on. The switch is under the small TV in the alley bar.
(Dec. 10, 2014)