- The Commonwealth Club -
THE BEST CLUB IN NORTHERN NJ
- Private Social Club -
100+ Year Old Social Club
The Commonwealth Club is one of New Jersey's oldest social clubs, established in 1904 by Benjamin Moore (yes, that Benjamin Moore), among other community leaders. Located in Upper Montclair, NJ we are one of the most down to earth, friendly and affordable private clubs in the country.
- Bowling -
100+ Years of Bowling
We’re not sure, but this could be the longest continuously running bowling league in the nation. It is most probably the longest running one in the state. And definitely the longest running game in Montclair. What we know for sure is that our six lanes have seen a lot of bowling and even more good times.
- Facilities -
Rent the Club
Located in the heart of Upper Montclair, the club is a great place for parties and events. Whether your invitations are going out to 25 — or 250 — consider the Commonwealth Club for your next event. After the most extensive renovations in its 117-year history, including a new air conditioning system, the club remains one of the best and most reasonably priced gathering options in the area.
- Commonwealth Club News -
UPCOMING EVENTS AT THE CC 3/30/23
To help fill in your social calendar for the months ahead, I provide the following as a public service:
* March Madness Championship Game - Monday, April 3rd: College basketball at its finest… the way the game should be played. Enjoy it in the comforts of the CC Club, along with your CC Brothers. We’ll have beer and some eats, so come early and stay to the final buzzer. We’ll get a pool going.
* “Cajun Night” - Saturday, April 22nd: An annual Commonwealth Club tradition that has proven to be the best Cajun food outside of New Orleans. No kidding! Tongues wag, cocktails flow, live music excites, and we enjoy the full Cajun culinary experience without the perspiration. Bring friends and family.
* "Mixed Bowling" - Saturday, April 29th: Couples team bowling where fun trumps skill! Do not need to be a member to participate-guests are always welcome! $10 per couple; free use of shoes and bowling balls-it's always a great time!
* “Local Craft Beer Night” - Thursday, May 4th: Here’s another CC beer sipping event; this time with a focus on our wealth of local craft breweries. Given our high local taxes, we deserve some special love and nothing says “I love you” better than a variety of excellent craft brews. Your wife may take exception to that, but debate it when you get home… wink wink.
* “Comstock Returns” - Saturday, May 13th: Comstock is another annual CC tradition that pays homage to Woodstock, but without the mud. Great live music, a 1969 music festival vibe, and in a peace and free-love atmosphere… somewhat tempered from the 60’s era. Introduce friends to the Club with this fun event.
* "Melville Tournament" - Tuesday, May 30th: Annual Spring Tournament for league bowlers only. $20 entry; 3 games with handicap.
* "CC Spring Golf Outing" - Thursday, June 1st: Save the date for our annual golf outing; we will be playing at The Meadows Golf Club in Lincoln Park, which is under new management and considerably improved over years past. Another event where guests are welcome and encouraged. Details to follow.
* "CC Annual Member Meeting and Dinner" - Thursday, June 1st: The year end gathering where club business is recapped and discussed; officers are elected and good food and drink are consumed in great quantities. Not to be missed by any member who cares about the club.
Upcoming Events at the Commonwealth Club
Italian Family Sunday Dinner – Sunday, January 15th 1:30pm to 6:30pm Mark Sunday, January 15th on your calendars for the Club’s annual paen to all things Italian-that’s this Sunday!. A […]
UPCOMING EVENTS AT THE COMMONWEALTH CLUB
First of all, we’d like to welcome all of the new members who signed up both at the Open House and during the summer. For those who had guests/potential members […]
I hope that all of you had a wonderful summer and are ready for a transformative year at the Commonwealth Club. We are ready to build on last year’s strong […]
Annual Dinner Highlights
The Club’s annual dinner was held on June 2nd and was a success on many levels. We discovered that the Club’s finances and membership roster have significantly improved over the […]
1960s BOWLING PINSETTERS
They Be Old But We Love Them
Member since 1957
Jack "King of the Machines" Anderson may be old as the Club itself, but he still gets around. Here he is on top of the pinsetters one night, "fixing" them. We're not sure, but we think he used bubble gum and a shoelace to fix them this time. In many ways, he remains the heart and soul of the Commonwealth Club and is still a regular league bowler at the age of 95!